Applicable Versions: 5.50.0040 onwards
Alerts are designed to allow the dashboard designer to highlight and/or notify users when a specific situation occurs. Alerts can be defined against any chart or grid object, gauge object or pivot table. Each alert consists of a set of conditions that determine whether or not the alert is currently active. If the alert is currently active, users can be made aware of the alert by it appearing on the dashboard they have open, or being notified by mobile alert, email or twitter when the dashboard is refreshed by the service.
To add an alert to your dashboard, follow these steps;
- Open or create a dashboard in the dashboard designer.
- Select the object on the dashboard you want to add the alert to and press the Edit Dashboard button to open the screen to edit the object.
- Select the Alerts Tab of the Object Definition screen, Gauge definition Screen or Pivot Table screen (depending on the type of object you are editing).
- Press Add to open the Alerts dialog.
- On the details tab, enter the alert text.
- Also on the details tab, you may wish to ensure the alert is not raised too often. For instance, if a dashboard was scheduled to refresh automatically every minute and the alert conditions remained true, the alert would send notifications, (and tweets and emails if so configured) every minute. To prevent this without reducing the refresh interval of the dashboard, you can set a minimum time interval before which a repeat alert will be raised.
- Next add one or more alert conditions to determine when the alert will be active.
- If a dashboard is scheduled to refresh automatically and you would like an email sent if the new data results in the alert conditions resolving to true, enter the appropriate details on the email tab.
- If a dashboard is scheduled to refresh automatically and you would like a tweet sent if the new data results in the alert conditions resolving to true, enter the appropriate details on the twitter tab.
- Set an appropriate refresh schedule for your dashboard.
- Publish your dashboard.